TIM LYONS is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department. His work is devoted to complex civil litigation, with an emphasis on business and commercial disputes in both the state and federal courts of New Jersey. His practice includes the prosecution of civil trials and appeals, administrative hearings, arbitrations and participation in other select alternative dispute resolution programs.
Tim’s experience includes a wide range of civil and commercial specialty practice areas. He represents clients involved in commercial and business actions, and real estate liability cases. He counsels his clients for breach of contract claims and business torts, in general business and corporate contests and company divorces, including the enforcement/dissolution of restrictive covenants, as well as dissolution claims, and shareholder actions for corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. His practice also includes representation of corporate entities and individual clients in debtor/creditor claims and arbitrated matters.
Tim has been designated by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney, an honor bestowed on less than 2% of attorneys in New Jersey. He has also been honored as a Lifetime Member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a national honorary organization of trial lawyers. The forum’s lifetime membership is limited to less than 1% of the lawyers in the United States.
Tim is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Special Committee on Business and Commercial Litigation as well as the Monmouth County Bar Association’s Civil Practice Committee. He is a past member of the Richard J. Hughes American Inns of Court for trial attorneys and has been appointed as a certified Arbitrator for the Superior Court of New Jersey and as a Mediator by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. He has served as an adjunct professor at Kean University for the instruction of advanced business courses in contract litigation, civil litigation, and business law. He has also lectured before various professional associations and college seminars on the issues of the procedures and trials of business litigation and trademark infringement suits.
Tim received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Notre Dame, and his Juris Doctor from Seton Hall University School of Law.
• What Alternatives Do Business Clients Have to “Hourly Rate” Billing for Legal Fees? (Sept. 2017)
• Puerto Rico Municipal Bonds: Investor Risk or Compensable Broker Malfeasance (May 2017)
• Crossing the Line: When Does Competition in Business Become “Unfair”? (April 2017)
• When the Marriage is Over: Disassociation and Expulsion of a Member of a Limited Liability Company (April 2017)
• The Wisdom of Internal Insurance Reviews for Your Business (February 2017)
• Dispute Over Management Agreement Does Not Mandate Owner’s Expulsion from the Company (Sept. 2016)
• Broker Trading Misconduct: The Case for “Unsuitability” and Misrepresentations (April 2016)
• Broker Trading Misconduct: The Case for Account “Churning” (December 2015)
• The Right to Partition: This Land Is Your Land, This Land is My Land (May 2015)
• Rekindling Embers: Revisiting New Jersey’s Need For A Business Court(August 2014)
• Residential Contracting in New Jersey’s Post-Sandy Landscape – Avoiding Liability for Consumer Fraud (March 2014)
• So, You Want to See the Books? A Shareholder’s Right to Inspect the Company’s Records (2013)